Jannik Sinner’s decision to miss the Cincinnati Masters this week was initially claimed to be precautionary for the world No 1, but the latest rumours suggest his hopes of playing at the US Open may now also be in doubt.
Sinner withdrew from the ATP 1000 event in Cincinnati with a knee problem and has not hit a ball in competitive action since he won the Wimbledon title in the second week of July.
He was only ever going to play once warm up event ahead of playing in New York, but his absence from that planned appearance raised plenty of eyebrows.
“My right knee has been bothering me, and even though we have been working hard with my medical team, I have to accept that I’m not ready to compete yet,” said Sinner, as he confirmed he would not play in Cincinnati.
The 2024 US Open champion was stepping up his practice sessions in clips posted on his social media channels earlier this month, but those images have not been flowing in recent days and now there are suggestions that a decision on his participation in New York may be imminent.
More Tennis News
Italian outlets are reporting that Sinner is preparing to complete a fitness test in the coming days, after undergoing a series of test at the J Medical Centre in Turin, which is linked to Serie A soccer giants Juventus.
Sinner will need to play several sets at high intensity levels if he is to have a serious chance of competing at the US Open and former British No 1 Greg Rusedski is among those doubting whether he will be in New York.
“Well, if he’s not in New York early in the week before the tournament starts, I don’t see him playing,” said Rusedski on his podcast.
“That leaves it wide open. It actually makes it rather exciting. Who’s gonna win the Slam this year? (Alexander) Zverev has the French. Sinner has Wimbledon and we could have a fourth. Four different men’s winning a Slam if Sinner and Alcaraz don’t show up, or you could have Zverev, like London buses, win two in a year.
“So it just makes everything intriguing. And we won’t know more until the week before the US Open with Sinner, because he’s desperate to get in there and try to win another Slam.
“But health is your wealth, and these guys have to take the time. It just shows you how physical the tour is. Because Sinner looked like the guy who’s never going to break down, and he’s the one who’s having a knee problem now.”
Sinner will need to fly to New York next week to acclimatise and prepare for the US Open if he is planning to play, so a decision on whether he will take part in the final Grand Slam of 2026 will need to be made over the next three or four days.
After celebrating his 25th birthday on Sunday, the best present Sinner will be hoping for is a quick recovery so he can push to win another Grand Slam title to add to the Wimbledon crown he collected last month.
READ NEXT: Carlos Alcaraz sent big warning as he weighs up ‘risky’ US Open decision
