Carlos Alcaraz has been tipped to withdraw from singles action at the upcoming US Open by Greg Rusedski, despite seemingly confirming his participation.

The Spaniard has been absent from professional tennis since April after suffering from lingering wrist discomfort.

Alcaraz’s last match came against Otto Virtanen in the first round of the Barcelona Open, a tournament from which he later withdrew.

Shortly after undergoing tests, he then withdrew from the remainder of the clay-court season, as well as the grass-court events.

As a result, he dropped an eye-watering 6130 ranking points and slipped well behind world No 1 Jannik Sinner, while also being leapfrogged by Alexander Zverev.

However, despite having withdrawn from the Masters 1000 events in Toronto and Cincinnati, Alcaraz surprised many by announcing on social media that he would make his return at the US Open, which begins on August 30.

Rusedski, a former world No 4, has cast doubt on such a return to singles action after more than four months away.

Latest Tennis News

“I mean, you have got to think, why would you start back with a wrist injury in three out of five sets?,” said the Brit on the Off Court with Greg podcast.

“I would be very surprised if he plays in the singles, but he says ‘I’m back’.

“I’m surprised. You know, this is where it’s questionable. That’s why I think the relationship might have split with Juan Carlos Ferrero, because I don’t think he would have allowed him to take this sort of risk if he’s not 100% right.

“I hope he’s healthy. I hope he’s able to play the US Open. But I’m not sure this is the smartest thing, unless it’s just a publicity stunt.”

“I don’t think he’s going to play. I think he says he’s back, but I think he might just participate in the mixed doubles.”

“I would be shocked if he plays in the singles.

“He has lost early when he hasn’t played tournaments for a long time. It’s one thing to practice. It’s another thing to play an event.

“He’s the biggest star in men’s tennis. No question about it.”

“He’s an amalgamation of the big three. It’s Djokovic, Federer, and Nadal combined into one player, which is unheard of.”

“So he is our biggest star in the sport, and we all want to see him back.

“I’d be very surprised [if he plays].”

In the week prior to the singles action, Alcaraz is also scheduled to participate in the mixed doubles event alongside 23-time Grand Slam champion Serena Williams.

The pair will team up in the revamped 16-team draw from August 24-26, having partnered with Emma Raducanu last year.

“The mixed doubles, no disrespect, but that’s not a proper tennis event,” he continued.

“That’s half a court. That’s a little bit of, you know, social giggle trying to win a major tournament, which is still very special, but it’s not the same thing as playing singles where you have to cover the whole court.”

“You need to have that lead-up event.”

“If he was playing in Winston-Salem this week, I’d say, okay, yeah, the US Open looks likely.

“But I don’t see that happening right now, and that’s why I’m just thinking this is maybe publicity.”

“We want him back, but we want him healthy for a decade.”

“We don’t want him back for a week, and oh my gosh, he tweaks it somehow in a three-out-of-five set match in the second or third round. That would be the worst-case scenario.”